[slinkelist] digital from mega-changer to MP3 on hard drive

Richard Malcolm-Smith rich@ihug.co.nz
Wed, 01 Dec 1999 21:44:08 +1300

Sinan Karasu wrote:

> PS: Stay away from SB Live.

I Second that!

Outputting MP3's to minidisc, its impossible to get the meter on the
minidisc to hit 0db without using the digital record level control. It
has to be boosted by close to 5 db. I dont know the reason but the sound
isnt what I would call nice. I have better results going thru the analog
connection (even with a bit of noise there)

I have a yamaha XG chipped no brand card and it sounds much better - and
it also has a 48kHz output only. It has multiple streams, but somehow
adds them together with the peak still hitting 0db. Wish I could turn
off that as nothing is more annoying then recording a 70 min MP3 to MD
and getting a ding or something thru it.

Ideally i would get a card that does bit for bit transfers digitaly, but
for now this will do. I cant see why hardware manafactureres cant add
it. I would rather have good quality then all this multichannel crap.

--
Richard
personal opinions only