[slinkelist] DXSgusting Customer Relations

Tresy Kilbourne tresy@kilbourne-quirk.com
Wed, 08 Dec 1999 20:58:12 -0800

As one of the unfortunates who purchased the severely flawed DXS last month
(additionally flawed in my case by a defective display unrelated to the
firmware bug), I want to share the following backchannel communication I had
with another DXS sufferer. He felt more kindly towards Nirvis about its
handling of the screwup than I did, but who nonetheless encouraged me to
post this to the list. It is followed by my entire correspondence with
Nirvis. Together they form what some might consider a window on Nivis'
indifferent attitude towards keeping customers happy, or it might not. For
me it is just one last unfinished item before I check out of here as a
customer of Nirivis for good. As luck and the desperation borne of sheer
frustration would have it I was able to find an infinitely preferable,
cheaper and better solution to my problems than the bug-filled DXS, and I am
taking my business to that company instead.

Whatever your opinion about this conflict, I am uninterested in hearing
about it, so please do not send me any followup email on the subject. I'm
fed up with the whole experience and have no desire to revisit it.

My view as expressed in private communication last week:

Just a back channel communication to clarify something. One of the things
that's hacking me off about this DXS behavior is that Nirvis seems only
moderately concerned about it. They send the units out without testing them
(even though they are apparently first-run), discover the problem
independently from me but wait until my inquiry before acknowledging it,
then tell me to wait over a week until their engineer comes back from
vacation, and all they can say is, "sorry for any inconvenience." Any
inconvenience??? The thing doesn't work! This is not a matter of a bug that
only crops up on occasion; it's a constant aggravation.

I know that mistakes happen, some of them beyond our control. But David
seems to think it's good customer relations to blame the problem on their
supplier and let it go at that. It's not. And it's even worse that they are
a small business. A small business cannot afford bad word of mouth on a
high-end product, and that is likely what they are going to get from me when
this whole business is over. All David had to do was apologize profusely for
the problem, take full responsibility for it, and get his people working on
it ASAP. Periodic updates to his customer base would also be in order. But
he didn't do any of these things.

What if my check had bounced after I got the unit, through no fault of my
own, and I had said, gee, sorry for any inconvenience, but I'm going to
finish my vacation before calling my bank and getting this sorted out? I
think Nirvis would feel I was fairly casual about holding up my end of the
bargain. That's the  way I feel about the aptly named Nirvis.

Walter Kilbourne

Correspondence in chronological order:

I recently bought a DXS for my 3 changers, and it works pretty well, except
for one thing. At seemingly random intervals the unit switches into what I
think is the setup mode; at any rate, the readout reads "Press 1-9" and
nothing works until I unplug it and replug it in. It used to do this quite a
lot when it was hooked into the SLink bus, but even with it out of the bus
it happens. I tried changing the code set to VCR3, but that hasn't stopped
this from happening.

What is going on?
--
Walter Kilbourne
Seattle WA

Hi Tresy,

We've seen the same thing here too.  Colby is on vacation until the week
after this coming but It'll be the first thing he looks into when he gets
back.  We'll send out an announcement when we have a patch.  Sorry for any
inconvenience.

David Aue
Nirvis Systems

on 11/27/99 7:26 PM, Nirvis Help (David) at help@nirvis.com wrote:

> Hi Tresy,
>
> We've seen the same thing here too.  Colby is on vacation until the week
> after this coming but It'll be the first thing he looks into when he gets
> back.  We'll send out an announcement when we have a patch.  Sorry for any
> inconvenience.
>
> David Aue
> Nirvis Systems
>
> At 07:11 PM 11/27/99 , you wrote:
>> I recently bought a DXS for my 3 changers, and it works pretty well, except
>> for one thing. At seemingly random intervals the unit switches into what I
>> think is the setup mode; at any rate, the readout reads "Press 1-9" and
>> nothing works until I unplug it and replug it in. It used to do this quite a
>> lot when it was hooked into the SLink bus, but even with it out of the bus
>> it happens. I tried changing the code set to VCR3, but that hasn't stopped
>> this from happening.
>>
>> What is going on?
>> --
>> Walter Kilbourne
>> Seattle WA

David: the problem continues and is worse than ever: I now see a pattern of
dots on the display that look something like a piano keyboard. The switching
effect is a thing of the past. In order to "switch" I have to unplug and
then replug the AC (thanks to the lack of a normal switch, something I would
expect for the money I paid) in order to get it to "let go" of the currently
playing changer. Then I can play whatever else I want to--until I want to
try another changer. Then it's unplug and replug again.

As it stands, I feel I have spent ~$400 for nothing. I could accomplish the
same thing I am doing now by swapping TOSLink cables in the back of the DAC.
This problem surfaced straight out of the box, and is obviously not unique
to my unit. If this is your idea of quality control, I am not impressed.
What are my options?
--
Walter Kilbourne
Seattle WA

David:

I assume you got my earlier message. What are my options? The displayis
completely whacked out (the lettering is gibberish, and there are all sorts
of other random character strewn across it, and the pulsing dots do not
reflect digital signal activity at all), and the switching is spotty at
best. It's going straight downhill in my opinion, and I don't want to wait
until it goes out completely.

I frankly feel that since I am within the warranty period I should get a
brand new, pretested unit shipped here pronto. I will then ship you the
defective unit back in the original box. What is your suggestion?

Tresy Kilbourne
Seattle WA

Hi Walter,

The problem is in the firmware programming in the unit.  The bug was
apparently introduced just prior to shipping the first batch so we didn't
catch it.  Our programmer who wrote the code has been on vacation.  He will
be back at the end of this week and will start working on a fix for it.
When he has the problem solved we will make a patch available and your unit
should function properly.

You other option is to send the unit back and we will refund your credit
card.

Sincerely,

David Aue
Nirvis Systems

on 12/6/99 1:49 PM, Nirvis Help (David) at help@nirvis.com wrote:

> When he has the problem solved we will make a patch available and your unit
> should function properly.
So I will be running some kind of software patch on it? What if I am not on
a PC?
--
Tresy Kilbourne
Seattle WA

If you do not have access to a PC then we can send you a pre-programmed
chip which can be swapped with the current one.  If you are not comfortable
swapping a chip then we can swap your unit for one with a newly programmed
chip already installed.

David Aue
Nirvis Systems

on 12/6/99 2:26 PM, Nirvis Help (David) at help@nirvis.com wrote:

> If you do not have access to a PC then we can send you a pre-programmed
> chip which can be swapped with the current one.  If you are not comfortable
> swapping a chip then we can swap your unit for one with a newly programmed
> chip already installed.
I have Virtual PC on my Mac, so I might as well see if that will do the job.
What kind of connection am I going to need? Right now I am hooked up to your
Slink-E via my serial port; is there any chance of hooking the DXS into the
Slink-E for the firmware update?
--
Tresy Kilbourne
Seattle WA

I don't know if it will work from virtual PC but you could try.  Does our
regular PC software control the Slink-e okay from Virtual PC?  If so then
it will most likely work with the DXS too.

When you reboot the DXS by cycling the power is everything okay for a short
while at least?

David Aue
Nirvis Systems

on 12/6/99 9:39 PM, Nirvis Help (David) at help@nirvis.com wrote:

> When you reboot the DXS by cycling the power is everything okay for a short
> while at least?
Absolutely not. The display has turned to complete gibberish, and it gets
worse every time I reboot. Now random characters dance across the screen. As
for the switching, it does seem to improve for a while.

Well that sounds like more than the software problem others are
seeing.  Send it back and we'll get another one out to you as soon as the
software is fixed.

Our address is:
1438 Milvia St.
Berkeley, CA 94709

Send it UPS ground or whatever other cheap way is convenient for you.  Let
us know how much the shipping cost and we will reimburse you.

David Aue
Nirvis Systems

on 12/7/99 4:31 PM, Nirvis Help (David) at help@nirvis.com wrote:

> Well that sounds like more than the software problem others are
> seeing.  Send it back and we'll get another one out to you as soon as the
> software is fixed.

How about if I hang onto it until there's something to replace it with? As
bad as it is, it still has some meager usability. Without it I have nothing.
Any idea how long until a fix is out?

And one last thought: since I apparently have defective hardware as well as
firmware, why not at least replace with it with a firmware-defect-only unit,
and then I can upgrade from there when the fix is out?
--
Walter Kilbourne
Seattle WA

Hi Walter,

We're working on the fix right now.  It shouldn't be too long.

If you're really unhappy with this whole thing we would much rather you
return the unit for a full refund than have to be continually dissatisfied
with the solutions we can offer. Once we feel we have the product in better
shape we could give you a ring and you could decide whether to buy one then
if you have not found another solution. I'll have to warn you though the
price will be a lot higher in a few weeks. We sold the first batch at less
than production cost.

Sincerely,

David Aue
Nirvis Systems

David:

Am I reading this right? Your "solution" is for me to send back the unit I
have, do without anything, and then pay MORE for what I should have gotten
right in the first place? That's your idea of a warranty???

This experience is getting Kafkaesque. Nirvis is rapidly earning a place in
my short list of places that don't have a clue when it comes to customer
relations. What's so difficult about expressing extreme embarrassment over
putting out such a crummy product and bending over backwards to make the
customer happy? I see little evidence that you care about anything other
than getting my money or making me go away. I am on the verge of posting
this entire exchange on your list and letting others see what they can look
forward to when they have problems with your products.

Sincerely,

Walter Kilbourne

Hi Walter,

This is a brand new product. It had some modifications made to the firmware
just prior to it's initial shipping and it turned out this caused an
unexpected problem. The person capable of fixing that problem unfortunately
had just gone on a 2 week vacation. He came back yesterday and within 8
hours of stepping off a plane from Thailand seems to have the problem
fixed. We will make sure that all of our customers get the remedy as soon
as possible and do whatever is necessary to accommodate them implementing
this fix at no cost to them and in a timely manner. That is the best we can
do. I don't want anybody to feel stuck with anything they are unhappy with
and I don't want the money of anyone who doesn't feel like they got their
money's worth out of our products. This is why we have an unconditional
100% money back guarantee including return shipping. I have offered you
every remedy I have at hand to me and you still seem unhappy so I'm at a
loss as to what else I can do for you.

We are a very small company trying to provide innovative products at a
reasonable price and I think the DXS is that. In about 2 days it should
also work pretty well. Then again it could have another problem that we
didn't foresee. We are not a big company with lots of testing resources and
extra staff and a new product from us is actually fairly likely to have a
few glitches in the beginning. The initial purchasers of this product have
encountered that but they also got what promises to the best product of
it's kind (perhaps the only) on the market for about half what we should be
charging for it. In addition they get the promise that if they are unhappy
for any reason they can get all of their money back and go on with their
lives unburdened by automated digital switching.

I think if you did a survey of our customers you would find that they are
overwhelmingly happy with the products we sell and the service we offer.
Frankly other people just don't make stuff as cool as we do or listen to
their customers as much. We make flexible products and provide a very open
architecture to our users so they can do just what they want with them.
They love us for it. We listen to their suggestions and do our best to
implement them into our products and they love us for it. We also maintain
our products over the long haul. We fix every known firmware problem we can
find and make those fixes available to our customers as soon as possible.
In the case of the DXS they are free because we designed it with a flash
upgradable CPU so we can give everyone fixes and new features for free as
we develop them. They'll love us for it.

We have a personable and lighthearted approach towards business so instead
of calling everyone Sir and Ma'am we simply talk with them like normal
people and try to enjoy the fun of electronics automation together. I could
write lots of long fake sounding apologies for the problems people have but
instead I just give people the straight dope and do everything I can to get
them up and running again. We don't get embarrassed by our mistakes we just
fix them.

As for posting this conversation to the mailing list, I have no problem
with that.  I believe I have answered all of your inquiries in a prompt,
direct and professional manner. If you would feel better by posting our
interactions please feel free to do so. I would only ask that you include
every e-mail sent between starting with your pre-sales questions and leave
them unedited in order to preserve the entire context. I can provide any or
all of those e-mails to you if you have since deleted them.

Once this product is a little more mature I'm sure it will be the kind of
quality reliable product straight out of the box that you are looking for.
I'm sorry that it is not that today and I'm sorry that it does need meet
your needs and expectations. The remedy I can offer at this point is what I
think will be a fix for your technical problems within the next few days
and if it's not, my continued efforts to get your system working properly.
If that is not satisfactory let's simply agree that you are not satisfied
with your purchase and I will give you a full refund including return
shipping.

Please let me know how you would like proceed.

Sincerely,

David Aue
Nirvis Systems

And that, as they say, is that.