[slinkelist] Using DB-9 adapters and straight RJ-45

David Aue aue@nirvis.com
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 10:59:03 -0800

Here's an excerpt from a little blurb I wrote on CAT-5 serial cables:

CAT-5 cables have modular RJ-45 connectors on each end.  You can get RJ-45 to
     DB-9(serial) converters fairly cheap.  We get ours from Jameco (part
numbers 66190 and
     66211).  These converters usually don't come with the pins installed
but this is simple.  There
     will be 8 wires in each connector.   Place one wire in each of the pin
holes 1-8 in the DB-9
     connector and leave pin hole 9 empty.  Do the same for the other
end.  Make sure to use
     the same colors wires for the same numbered pins on each end!!

David Aue