[slinkelist] Cover Art

Chris Haddan chris@haddan.com
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 21:00:15 -0800

------ =_NextPart_001_01BF24EF.277D2070

It's not that hard, I did it for DVD covers using us.imdb.com.

I haven't done it for CD covers yet, but using album and artist name,
you can pretty easily do a search query to a web site such as
www.muze.com, parse the search result html for the first item found,
load that page, parse for the IMG src line of the cover picture, then
download the picture via http.  It could take hours to run for a large
list, and there are sure to be some false matches, but you can get the
bulk of the covers without too much effort... well other than a couple
of hours of programming.

example:

walk your database record by record, using the artist and album title,
build a URL with the format below:

http://www.muze.com/pop/pop_search_results.asp?artist=def+leppard&album=
hysteria&song=&GENRE=ALL&x=0&y=0

load the page, and parse for first occurrence of text "album -
%albumname", grab the <a href=....>, which is
http://www.muze.com/pop/pop_album.asp?MUZENBR=++96110 load that page,
parse the html for the "http://www.muze.com/albums/", grabbing the
entire path: http://www.muze.com/albums/090/96110.jpg,
then just download the picture, renaming to "def leppard, hysteria.jpg",
then insert a image reference into your database.

Checkout these API's in the Microsoft internet sdk for easy loading of
web pages via your app:
	InternetOpen
	InternetConnect
	HttpOpenRequest
	HttpSendRequest
	HttpQueryInfo
	InternetQueryDataAvailable
	InternetReadFile
	InternetCloseHandle

then just import the msado15.dll template library, and you've got easy
database access.  roll it all together and a few hundred lines of code
later, your set. ;-)

-Chris