[slinkelist] CD Scan Performance Report

Allen Cobb ci@csi.com
Sat, 13 Nov 1999 14:08:06 -0800

I've experienced a (very) few oddities with CDJ/Slinke and my 3 new
CDP-CX300's. I'm not sure if this is new information, but I thought I should
report it.

1. Previously recognized CD's which had been acquired by CDJ from some
CDP-CX200 and 210 players were no longer recognized. The same physical CD in
the new CDP-CX300 player was unknown, and I had to re-enter the track info
(this pc is not on the web). The track times show up as identical between
the old "missing" entry and the new re-entered entry. NB: To use the 300
players, I had to upgrade to the latest version, so that's another variable.

2. About 10% of the disks (800 or so) were missed on the first scan. This
was not a big problem, but required some manual re-scanning of various
regions of all 3 players. Two CDs were unrecognizable, but this is certainly
a CD problem, since they were unplayable in the new players (but not the old
ones).

3. WISHLIST: To scan all 900 slots (which is just the tip of the Slinke
iceberg) takes a long time. This is ok, since I ran it over night. However,
due to the presence of some (real and erroneous) duplicates, the whole
process stopped, waiting for an OK button. In the morning, I click OK and
went to work. At lunch, I clicked OK and went back to work. And so on.  --
So, I'd like to request that the autoscan feature build a REPORT in RAM (or
wherever) instead of informing you of each dupe. If I had been scanning 6-8
players, it could have taken a few days to get past the prompts!

4. Dupes. CDJ has been duped.  --  I know this has been rehashed, but here's
my situation. I've got two series of CD's, one of which is environmental
sound effects, and the other is Gandharva-Ved music from India. Most of them
have been recorded intentionally to run exactly 60:00 minutes. What's worse
is that all of them consist of one single long track. So CDJ sees various
pairs of them as identical. I really don't want to remove *any* of them from
the system, especially the Gandharva-Ved music, which is composed for
specific hours of the day. Is there no way that CDJ can be tweaked so that
"deliberate dupes" like these could be differentiated? There must be
SOMETHING in the CD datastream that could be used to mark one of them A and
the other B or something... Or force the dupe to be associated with a slot
number, perhaps. The prior version seemed to allow me to rescan one of the
dupe slots, resulting in both CDs coexisting in the db, but the latest
version deletes one if it detects the other, even on a single-slot scan.
This problem is affecting about 30 CDs, 24 of which are played quite a lot.

Thanks in advance,

ac

PS - Congratulations on DXS!!! I hope it's a huge winner.