[slinkelist] problems with slinkserv stability/queries about randomness

Ken Geoffrion kgeoffrion@hotmail.com
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 10:45:42 PDT

Jay, I've been having the same problems, although it's quite intermittent.
Occasionally, it will stay up for days, then crash every hour or so.  I'm
running Win95 and IE5 on a 486/66 (all this computer is used for is CDJ).

It actually seems LESS stable since upgrading to the latest version of
CDJ/Slinkserv this weekend.

----Original Message Follows----
From: Jay Pfaffman <pfaffman@relax.com>
To: slinkelist@nirvis.com
Subject: [slinkelist] problems with slinkserv stability/queries about
randomness
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 08:04:38 -0500 (CDT)

I'm running CDJ on a Toshiba laptop with a pentium 133.  I did a clean
install of Win95 & IE5 before installing CDJ.  It works great (lots better
than the 12MB 486/25 that I had been using), but slinkserv crashes every few
hours.

I did install some user-contributed program for slinkserver that was later
reported to be causing problems, but uninstalled it after I read that it was
causing problems.  That did make things better, but still not reliable.
It's a bummer because it always seems to crash while playing a CD that I'd
rather not listen to all of.

Are other folks using slinkserv & slink-saver (the only reason compelling me
to use slinkserv) without trouble?  Should I do another clean install of
win95? Win98?  I do like slink-saver--it's much prettier than CDJ.

----

How does the random feature work?  I know how to make it go; I've even
programmed a button on my remote that does a "no christmas" search (that
was a happy day!).  My problem is that it often seems like I hear the same
CD---or few cd's with some frequency.  (I have almost 400 in my 205 and
240. But then maybe it's just my imagination.  One day I'm sure I'll make
a few playlists, but I've been too lazy thus far.

Thanks.

Jay Pfaffman                           pfaffman@relax.com
+1-615-343-1720 (office)               +1-615-460-9299 (home)
http://relax.ltc.vanderbilt.edu/~pfaffman/