[slinkelist] DXS pricing And other issues

Michael Holopainen michael@laserle.fi
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 09:49:18 +0200

I think DXS is great.
Well it's not cheap, but when you consider price Vs. quality +
functionality, I think you get more than your money's worth.
(Judging from what I read about it + personal experience on other nirvis
hard&soft-ware)

If/When they get around to make Analog/digital input and output modules
for DXS...

What I would LOVE to see is dozen of different modules :

1. AC-3 or DTS to 5.1 output-module. (AND the next module)
2. Analog output module with DA converter.
---------------------------------
3. Analog input module with AD converter.
4. Video In-out

With those modules DXS's usefulness to us mortals (who have less than
1000 Cd's) would GGGGREatly increased.
And the potentials of DXS would be really unlocked.

Because usually (in sony) amps the are lots of unused inputs (who needs
a tuner, or tape) and with cdj you can easily program amp to switch
input channel in amp according the current player.

When I was trying to find ac-3 to 5.1 for PC, I found out that they sell
microships that split digital ac-3 signal to 6 separate channels and you
wouldn't need much more than 6 digital to analog converters to get Dolby
Digital sound out of your 5.1-Amp.
So Am I wrong or could ac3 to 5.1-module for DXS made "easily". Hey, I
don't know much about DSP (Digital signal Prosessing).

So normal home user have not much of use DXS until...

What I'm Hoping from DXS is that it would take care of all my A/V
switching and DSP (surround), so in addition to DXS (and sources) I
would only need a half dozen AMPs. And with AMPs I mean those big black
boxes that haven't got any other controls than Power On/Off switch.

-michael

P.S. I know that I should buy one to support the development of DXS, but
since the duties+taxes+shipping would be equal to the price of DXS, I
have to wait until all the modules I want are eady and buy all at once.