[slinkelist] slinke and Lava DSerial PCI

Nathan Sharp nsharp@phoenix-int.com
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 16:16:07 -0400

A bit off topic, but here we go anyhow:

My experience with this type of things leads me to believe that you have what is
termed "IRQ Hell".  Your DSerial card is using the same IRQ (or base address,
but most likely IRQ) as something else in your computer.  Everything is fine
until you try to use the serial ports, at which time the IRQs of the two things
conflict and what happens is anyone's guess (usually exactly what you see,
serious lockup. I had a computer once that wouldn't even start up the BIOS
memory check).

Here's a test to see how computer geeky you are, can you tell me what is using
what IRQs in your computer?  Probably not.  Try changing what the card is using,
though.  You might get lucky.  Do a search on the web and you can find documents
that tell you what IRQs are typically used by what devices.  I'd give you my
list, but it is packed right now.  Sorry.

  Nathan