[slinkelist] CDJ questions/problems, plus CDSaver/PartyGUI

Jay Pfaffman pfaffman@relax.com
Sat, 8 Apr 2000 08:53:03 -0500

On Fri, 7 Apr 2000 18:53:40 +0100, "Ron Chrisley" <ron@chrisley.freeserve.co.uk> said:

> Is there a Y2K bug when sorting by date added in the library?  It looks like
> 2000 dates are being sorted as earlier than 1999 dates.

> I would like to be able to search by date added, to play all recently
> acquired CDs, for example.

Searches work properly.

> Buts most importantly:  why is the date added field not always filled in
> when a new CD is added?

Could it be that your database in a version of CDJ which didn't have
the date added field?

> Is there any way to save a *search* (parameterised playlists)?  For example,
> I often start up CDJ, search for "kw = classical & nt<1", then press random.
> This gives me all the classical tracks that I have not listened to.  But it
> changes from session to session, so I have to type the search in every time.
> Not too big a hassle, but it would be good if we could save "intensional"
> playlists as well as "extensional" ones, if that means anything to anybody.

I do this by programming buttons on my remote to do searches.  Here's
an excerpt my my map file:

cd2:1
{
cdj:search_mode[track]
cdj:search[album=effect | (ta<1o and tl>2d) | (tl>90d and (not
          (title=christmas | album=christmas | kw=christmas)))]
cdj:playlist_clear
cdj:playlist_mode[random]
cdj:playlist_play
onkyo:cd
onkyo:multisource
onkyo:cd
}

cd2:2
{
cdj:search_mode[track]
cdj:search[artist=costello]
cdj:playlist_mode[random]
cdj:playlist_play
}

Pressing 1 on my remote changes the source on my receiver to CD.  And
does a search for:

  sound effects (it's funny to hear the occasional chicken
       squawking or car screaching away)
  songs added within the last month, but not played in the past two days
  songs which haven't been played in 90 days and aren't christmas tunes

Pressing 2 starts a new search so that as new items are added to the
playlist are all Elvis Costello songs (I don't have any Abbot and
Costello right now).  If you have CDJ build random lists only two
tracks forward, then doing this starts the new playlist search without
an abrupt change & relatively quickly.  One problem is that if the two
songs at the end of the list are missing (because disks have been
removed for some reason) the playlist seems to wrap around to the
beginning of the playlist.  Now that all my CDs are back in the
changer I may not have this problem any more.

> I've been trying to search for empty fields (for example, to find library
> entries that lack a keyword classification so that I can give them one).
> But when I search for, say "kw == """, I get everything.  Am I missing
> something very simple?

The easiest thing to do is to open the database in Access, which makes
it much easier to quickly edit fields like Keyword.

--
Jay Pfaffman                           pfaffman@relax.com
+1-615-343-1720 (office)               +1-615-460-9299 (home)