[slinkelist] Analog Mixer Recommendations?

Jay Pfaffman pfaffman@relax.com
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 16:47:03 -0500

On Wed, 19 Apr 2000 17:24:20 -0400, "Ray Schwartz" <rayschwa@bellsouth.net> said:

> Now that I have two jukeboxes I have learned that I need a mixer to
> attach both boxes to the single CD input jacks of my Yamaha
> receiver. I have seen the passive version on the website, and
> although I know little-to-nothing about electrical engineering, it's
> just a few jacks and resisters, I assume for some form of impedance
> matching. Anyway, if I made this up I'm sure it would look like
> crap...

Here's an answer from my still-unpublished FAQ:

Q3: Can anyone suggest a mixer?

  See http://nirvis.com/mixers.htm  -- If you've got money and or lots
  of digital inputs, check out Nirvis's DXS.  It's expensive, but
  apparently cheaper than anything competing.

 GBR gregroberts.com me@gregroberts.com:

    I use an "Optimus Stereo Sound Mixer SSM-1250" from Radio Shack. $120
    USD. 4 line stereo inputs (RCA jack), 3 mixable at once (one channel
    is a switch between 3 and 4), VU meters. You have to adjust volumes
    manually with sliders, but after one time setup over a year ago, I
    have let mine sit in the closet (behind the gear), and has worked
    perfectly without a hiccup. Although I'm sure this wouldn't suffice
    for an audiophile, I find no noticable noise or distortion added to
    the signal, and this is in an acoustically above average room.

 Gary L. Hunt glh@srv.net:

    I bought a Rolls MX-28 3-channel mixer from Synthony Music
    (www.synthony.com) for $80.  You'll have to be your own judge
    if the specs are good enough for you, but it works fine for me--
    just plugged in my 3 changers and turned it on.  (Even though
    it's from a company that makes mostly pro audio equipment,
    its inputs and outputs are unbalanced.  I don't think the previous
    posting was really referring to "balanced line" signals, since
    consumer audio equipment does not support these, and the
    signal levels used in such systems are not the same as consumer
    audio gear.)

  Jay Pfaffman <pfaffman@relax.com>:

    I built a passive mixer using the circuit on the Nirvis web site.
    I managed to find a board with 3 pairs of RCA jacks (I built a
    two-input mixer).  I didn't even solder anything, though I did
    have to wrap it very well to make the connections reliable.  It
    works well enough.  It's ugly, but mounted inside a closet, so I
    don't care.  Sometimes I wish I had a mixer, but I'm at a loss to
    explain why.

--
Jay Pfaffman                           pfaffman@relax.com
+1-615-343-1720 (office)               +1-615-460-9299 (home)