[slinkelist] CD Mastering

Michael Holopainen michael@laserle.fi
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 10:39:41 +0300

Try "Nero - Burning ROM" it's miles ahead of the infamous Adaptec
SleazyCD

With nero you can even drag & drop mp3 files to the image and burn the
cd as normal audio CD Nero decodes mp3 to wav on the fly. (just handy
additional property) there is a lot more features that I haven't yet
explored (I think it has CDDB connection), and it simply the BEST cd-rom
software I have ever seen : with win98 I burned image from network drive
to my local cd-Writer while running 2 other programs and working
remotely (VNC) on other computer, AND WITHOUT adjusting/disabling swap
size. I haven you got a single failed cd burn (well one but that was on
purpose I was testing the limimits of my drive/Nero/PC = transferring a
700Mb file over network ripping audio CD (with mp3 encoding) on other
cd-drive, running 2 other programs and burning ROM from network drive =
it choke after few minutes)

Another good (not great, but good) is Xing audiocatalyst cd to mp3
ripper. That is not exactly what you want but I thought that is was
worth of mentioning. I also have done thousands of hours "audio in ->
wav -> mp3" unfortunately I haven't yet found my dream software that
captures the audio in directly to mp3 without going through wav and with
high sound quality Xing MP3Live! is good for that but it do cost
equvalent of hardware mp3 encoder, I think I was last person on earth to
download the mp3live! beta version (limited to 64kb/s, 22Hz or
516kbs-90Hz) from xingtech homepage.

For audio in -> wav I use Creative Labs WaveStudio (that came with
SBLive!) and I'm not too happy about that program.

DOES ANYONE KNOW a good audio in to mp3 program that allows handling
(editing) of incoming audio stream in mp3 format ??

Also I like to open discussion of methods of automating the cd to mp3
ripping using using CDJ. CDJ is amazing software slinke is equally great
and Sony CDP-CX### are good, but there is something to be said of having
500 CD's worth of music (inluding covers & title names) on size on
cigaret pack (30Gb HD) for a half of the price of one CDP-CX### player.
or 100 cd's on one DVDRAM-Disk (300-400 in future).

In a beginning I preferred CD's over the trublesome Vinyls now that I
have transferred some 300 of my vinyls to mp3 I noticed that cd's are so
clumsy and slow to use (even in CDP-CX's) that I rather play mp3's

NOTE !!!
"The thousands of hour of mp3" means convertig my ORIGINAL vinyl media
to mp3 format FOR MY OWN USE.
I'm all for the "If you like the band support them by BUYING their
album, so they can affort to make another"

- michael (A)