[slinkelist] Sony CDP-CX300 Digital of Analog Out?

Steve Weed weed@lexmark.com
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 15:49:22 -0400 (EDT)

Terry -

I have a 5600.  In any mode other than direct 2 channel stereo,
the digital stream is buffered inside the Denon,
so jitter is not an issue.  Data may be buffered even in
direct 2 channel mode; I am not sure.

By buffering, I mean that data is fed into FIFO memory,
then read out by another clock.  The FIFO is required because
any signal processing in the Denon incurs some delay, so
the audio must also be delayed so that the (delayed) modifications can
be applied to the data for which it was intended.  On my Denons,
(5600 and AVP-8000), there is a substantial delay any time the digital
input is interrupted.  Part of that delay is for the Denon to decide
what decoding is applicable, the rest is to 'prime' the FIFOs.

[De]Jitter boxes are no longer popular, because newer equipment
incorporate SPDIF input receivers that are much more robust to
jitter than chips of 5 years ago, even without subsequent buffering.

Consider that the optical connection eliminates a possible ground
loop.  With the CDP-CX300 paused and volume up,
put your ear close to the speaker with the analog connection,
then digital. The Denon has nice shielding
and a good ground plane, so is less likely to hum or buzz than many
other setups, particularly those with separate power amps.

If you live in an area of frequent lightning,
optical connections reduce the possibility of surge damage.

If you switch the Denon between analog and TOSlink inputs
and do not prefer the analog, use the digital;
I concluded that all my digital music sources sound better
when the Denons get the inputs digitally.

Anyone, feel free to correct/clarify errors/omissions in the above.

- Steve Weed