[slinkelist] PC to TV Converter

Michael Holopainen michael@laserle.fi
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 12:14:20 +0300

year ago I tested
AverKey 5+ and hooked it up to projection TV via RBG cable, and the
picture was wayyy to bad, after 3-4 hours of testing & using it I had
one H**l of headache. I returned that and bought Diamond viper 550
displayadapter w/ TV out.
And I was in for a BIG suprise, that 20$ addon gave better picture (via
s-vhs) than that 1000$ pro converter.

Also I tried that V550 on "normal" 25" tv and picture was not very
good,  though the tv was +10 years old and I used composite video signal
20feet cable made of 3 different bad wires (ones that I would not even
use for radio antenna) and passed signal via VCR to TV.

But I heard & seen few others trying to use diffent equipment and get
different results with same equipment ...

So my "professinal" ;) opinion is : do not waste too much money on this,
spending 5000$ on vga converter does not guarantee ANY better (or even
same) picture that paying 20$ more for displayadapter version with TV
out.
Because the picture quality is 98% up to your TV and 2% of the
conversion.
Specially now that DIGI tv is around the corner.

Best thing would be to get HDTV, or at least 100Hz tv with s-vhs in.
Like some one said TV and VGA tech are totally incompatible:

Resolution info :
normal vhs signal (VCR) is something like 240 lines, broadcast rez is
some 300,
s-vhs signal MAX is 400 lines,
HDTV is 800 and the super/extra HDTV is 1280.

theoreticly cheap tv can be so bad that it only can handle 240 rez and
you would not see the difference in normal VCR picture (in resolution,
that is).
So if you have 1280x1000 rez in winblows youd need 20 television !!!!
to display all the pixels in your monitor screen.

In conc.
Don't think what vga -> tv converter to buy, think what TV to buy.

P.S. I did test comp, s-vhs, RBG of the AverKey 5+ and all possible
tuning etc.

--
   --"Would you fly on airplane controlled by MS Windows ?"--
| Michael Holopainen | Valuraudantie 25 | Tel: +358-(0)9-35093825  |