[slinkelist] Switching question

Thomas W. Humphrey TWHumphrey@fuse.net
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 10:27:14 -0500

I believe you will find, as I did, that switching this way will not be
satisfactory, for the reason that the processor takes a good bit of time to
re-initialize its decoding circuits every time the processor's input is
switched.  This means you will miss the first half-second of music each time
you switch changers.

You can readily test whether this will be a problem, by doing the following-
Connect one changer to a digital input of the processor (and NOT to an
analog input associated with the digital input).
Put the changer in pause at the beginning of a song that starts loudly.
Switch the processor input to an input other than the changer, then switch
back.
You should see that the processor detects an optical carrier signal, but
does not set up, because it is not receiving digital signals on the optical
carrier.
Now release the pause.  The processor will set up and then the music will
start.
Now do a |<< to play the start of the song again and see if it was all
played back the first time.

On my Sony STR-DE925, I lose about a half-second before the processor
changes, so lose a half-second every time the digital input on the processor
changes.  When you set up your playlists to alternate changers every song,
this becomes completely unacceptable.

The solution to this problem, if you have it, is to use optical digital
switching, upstream of the processor.  If you do this, the processor stays
set up even when the input switches (it is unaware of the switching), and it
accordingly plays all of the digital signal after the switch.  The DXS does
upstream optical switching under Slink-e control.  I use an Audio Authority
1177 digital input switcher which I have hacked to allow Slink-e control.

Tom.