[slinkelist] IR distribution, wireless keyboards, Mouse Emulation

Christoph Aeschlimann caeschlimann@com4u.ch
Tue, 01 Feb 2000 13:40:29 +0100

Thomas, Thanks a lot for your precise answer. I realized there is some IR
noise and I was able to reduce it. I still have to do a couple of tests. Bu=
it seems to be much better since I placed the IR receiver and sender on
other positions.

Chris

> Christoph Aeschlimann posted:
> "2) My whole installation is now in one room. In another I have a beam fo=
> TV
> and Computer-Screen. For controlling the computer I'm using a airboard
> (silitek SK-7100). I send all the commands to a slink IR receiver and fro=
m a
> slink transmitter to the original airboard receiver. Well, this is workin=
> but when I move the mouse, sometimes the cursor jumps around. And sometim=
es
> I have to press the key a second time. Has anyone else made some experien=
ce
> with a similar configuration?"
>=20
> There are various problems combining a wireless keyboard with the slinke
> and/or with infrared distribution systems.  I have been working this prob=
lem
> for almost a year now.  Here's some collected wisdom.
>=20
> Typically there is noise in an IR distribution system that interferes wit=
> the essentially continuous IR streams that are produced by the keyboard,
> particularly when there is mouse movement.  A good way to check for noise=
 is
> to put the IR distribution system's output opposite the slinke's IR senso=
> and see if the slinke activity light glows orange, even when there is
> (should be) no IR activity.  If the slinke is showing orange, you've got =
> noise problem.
>=20
> IR noise often comes from the TV(s) set at the remote location(s).  Try
> turning off the TV(s) to see if the noise stops.  If it does, try moving =
the
> remote IR sensor(s) away from the TV or shielding it from direct exposure=
> the TV screen.  Same procedure for a computer monitor if you have one.  I=
've
> also heard of fluorescent lights (such as used in a fishtank) producing I=
> noise so check those too.  Also, the sensor(s) at the remote locations
> should have no direct exposure to sunlight.
>=20
> You may ask, if the TV is making the noise, why doesn't the noise prevent
> the TV's own IR remote from working?  The answer is that IR mouse movemen=
ts,
> and to a less extent, IR keystrokes, use long IR sequences.  E.g. the IR
> stream tells the computer when a key goes down, and when the key comes up
> again, how fast to move the mouse, when to change directions, etc.  Noise=
 is
> far more troublesome to such long, timing sensitive sequences than it is =
> short codes such as are produced by a typical consumer electronics remote
> control.
>=20
> IR noise can also be produced by RF interference in the power supply to t=
he
> [...]

Herzliche Gr=FCsse
Christoph Aeschlimann
Christoph Aeschlimann                 Email: caeschlimann@com4u.ch
com-o-tronic ag                                http://www.com4u.ch
Breitistrasse 7B
CH-5506 M=E4genwil                             Tel: +41 62 896 46 28