[slinkelist] Dead Slink-e, ideas needed...

Sami-Pekka Haavisto shaavist@niksula.hut.fi
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 04:26:24 +0200

I've had CX-350 and Slink-e working perfectly on Linux with my own
little software since September (when I first got the Slink-e). I was
just about to release some parts of the software (mainly the generic
server module and some IR-stuff, CD-controller still needs some work),
but then suddenly the Slink-e died on me. I didn't do anything, settings
were not touched and all three devices (computer, Slink-e, CD-changer)
were turned on, just like they always are. I don't even boot my machine
every month. The Slink-e just didn't react to anything.

Disconnecting the cables and recycling power doesn't help. With power on
the led is green, and also stays green despite what I do. Commands from
serial port, IR with remote and CD-changer on S-Link ports have no
(noticeable) effect.

My theory is that either something is broken, or something's screwed in
the EEPROM settings by accident (I haven't touched them on purpose, so it
would be a software bug). If it still works, the IR receiver has to be
disabled by default, because it doesn't react to any remote. I've tried
changing both bps and port settings to what they should be in case they're
messed up in EEPROM, but with no effect. Does anyone have any ideas of
what might be wrong and how to correct it?

And no, I don't have any kind of native Windows installation, and WINE
won't install Windows software (tried it).

   -sph

--
Sami-Pekka Haavisto | "Dead, dead, dead, dead, dead, dead, dead, dead,
sph@iki.fi          |
www.iki.fi/sph/ <*> |