[slinkelist] OT? Decoding optical TOSLINK

Bill Richman bill_r@inetnebr.com
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 22:45:07 -0600

This is not _strictly_ on-topic, but I've got a Sony CX300 and a Slink-e
hooked up to the computer, and am wondering how much of a mess it would =
be
to convert the TOSLINK output of the CX300 to some type of =
computer-readable
serial signal.  I've spent the last 30 minutes searching the web, and =
while
I've found several sites about TOSLINK switchers, and converting other =
types
of digital audio signals _to_ TOSLINK, I haven't found much about =
_reading_
it.  I've found at least one reference to the correct optical receiver to
use (Sony GP1F32R / aka OPIC light detector), which will give me a TTL
signal, but beyond that I can't seem to find anything about the format of
TOSLINK.  I'm in the process of expanding my home automation system to
include a number of control terminals (using 486 laptops with color =
displays
and built-in trackballs and ethernet cards), and one thing I'd like to =
play
with is using these to control the CX300 so I can select a CD from any of
the terminals and have the audio digitally transmitted over the ethernet =
for
playback on the terminal's sound card and speakers.  Another alternative =
is
the new, free MP3 encoder that someone posted about recently, or just
"ripping" all my CDs to a big hard drive, but since I just got the CX300,
and it _has_ digital output already, I'd like to know if my approach is
feasible.  Any pointers?

      -Bill Richman (bill_r@inetnebr.com)
       http://incolor.inetnebr.com/bill_r - Home of the COSMAC Elf =
Microcomputer
       Simulator, Fun with Molten Metal, Orphaned Robots, and =
Technological Oddities.