[slinkelist] Non-DXS Solution

Tresy Kilbourne tresy@kilbourne-quirk.com
Mon, 03 Jan 2000 21:58:26 -0800

It is quite easy to play at least 3 Megachangers without recourse to any
third-party devices. The trick is to use one of Sony's ES receivers: the
333, 555 or the 777. They are essentially identical except that the higher
numbered units have more power. Each has an S-Link jack and an automatic
input selection function for S-Linked components;  this makes possible
autoswitching between any Sony changers with S-Link. Just daisychain your
players to the receiver, and attach Slink-e to the end of the chain; make
sure each changer is assigned a different channel (CD1,2,3), and do the IR
setup in the remote so that the receiver knows what channel goes with which
input. It works flawlessly thereafter. (Note: I am using TitleTrack Jukebox
on a Mac Powerbook; YMMV.)

The 333 lists for $850 but is available mail order for as low as $550 (e.g.,
www.joemama.com, or
http://www.audioexcellence.com/audioexcellence/sonesrecstrd3.html) and comes
with a 5-year warranty parts and labor. It is an astonishing amp for the
money: 4 optical inputs (and one optical output), 4 S-Video inputs AND 3
outputs, Dolby Digital 5.1 and dts decoder, 6 surround sound speakers plus 2
auxiliary ones, subwoofer preout, 20+ "sound fields" that actually sound
good, etc., etc. Did I mention it sounds GREAT?

You can find additional specs at
http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer/ss5/home/homeaudioes/esreceivers/str-da
333es.shtml User reviews can be found at
http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/Receiver/product_6492.shtml

--
Tresy Kilbourne
Seattle WA