[slinkelist] Linux code for controlling Slinke?

Sinan Karasu allahsiz@home.com
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 20:56:01 -0800

Dermot Bradley wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm considering buying a Slinke to use from my Linux box. I know there is
> documentation online about the raw serial protocol that drives the Slinke.
> However are there any GPLed toolkits available for Linux?
>
> --
> Dermot Bradley
> bradley@oldcolo.com, bradley@debian.org

Don't know of any. I did run into some slinke files on the web when I
looked for it however a few months back. Search at http://www.google.com

The solutions that come to mind however are
1) Use wine from

 http://www.winehq.com

2) Considering that I have 4 SparcStations in the house and 4 dual boot
laptops that use linux/solaris/windows 2000 , what I'd really like to
see is to rewrite the s/w in Java and get rid of this Microsoft @#$%.
Considering that DCOM is a dead product/protocol, this would even give
CDJ/Slinke a brighter future. Microsoft is so passe.

 I'd be willing to help if anyone is game.

We could use jdbc/ejb and MySQL or wharever and now that Microsoft is
forced into using JNI by the good judge,it might actually work in the
regressive
Microsoft environment. I have the full ejb/oracle8i/jdcb
developement kits and busily porting everything away from
Microsoft OS as fast as I can. If the current Java tools were
available 3 years ago, I'd never would have become a
Microsoft Developer Network member. Oh well....

Sinan