[slinkelist] Pioneer DV-F727

Paul Chambers bod@bod.org
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 13:14:29 -0700

> This 300+1 dvd/cd changer
>  http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Home_2000/dv-f727.htm
> has a lot of good features, and a $600 street price.
>
> Does anyone have any info on its master/slave communications protocol
> and command set?

For the DV-F727, check out Wintek, who've been claiming for a while that
they'll be supporting it soon :-). Their web site is at
 http://www.wintektx.com

Personally I'd love to see Slink-e add support for the Pioneer SR protocol.
The Sony DVD changer leaves plenty of room for improvement, as is often the
case with a 'first generation' Sony product. The Pioneer DVD changers are
somewhat better as a first stab, though they would also greatly benefit from
control via Slink-e.

Another approach would be to purchase the DV-F07, the Elite version of the
F727:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Elite_2000/dv-f07.htm
The down side is that it's more difficult to find mail-order, and a fair bit
more expensive.

One of the primary differences is that the F07 has an RS-232 port,
specifically for automation use. I've been told that Pioneer will send you
documentation for the protocol if you call up and ask for it (though I
haven't tried this myself).

I've been meaning to get the service manual, to see just how similar these
two are. It may be possible to add the serial port to the F727 if they are
as similar under the covers as they appear to be. The chances are very high
that they are actually the same product with some cosmetic and feature
differences.

Paul