[slinkelist] (no subject)

Paul Chambers bod@bod.org
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 09:26:48 -0800

At 7:11 AM -0600 3/10/00, Jay Pfaffman wrote:

I'm with Jay - one rough landing, and the CDs would be all over the
inside of the changer. That would mean removing the cover and putting
all the CDs back into the carousel. The tricky bit would be making
sure they all went back into the _right_ slots - the sony changers
remember the track/title information by physical slot number, not by
checking the actual CD that's in the slot. They also have to be
inserted with the correct orientation - label side to the right. I'm
not sure this is something an aircraft mechanic will have come across
before.

I agree with Jay - you'd be better off with a solution using a
jukebox based on a hard disk. I'd suggest that you first take a look
at the various MP3 jukeboxes designed for automobile use, since
they're likely to be more shock-resistant. There's a list at:

http://hardware.mp3.com/hardware/all/car/

The neatest one I've seen is the 'empeg car'.

One consideration with MP3 systems - make sure the system supports
some of the higher bitrates (at least 128 kbps, preferably more than
that). Compressing the audio does degrade the quality a little, but
most people can't hear significant differences between 128 kbps MP3
and CD audio. But if you have musically-inclined customers, they may
- so you'd want to look at higher bit rates, (e.g. 160 kbps, 192
kbps, or more) to be sure they'll be satisfied. Though there's a fair
amount of background noise in a plane in flight, my guess is that
they'll first hear the system in the hanger, and first impressions
count :-)

I think the solution that would probably meet your needs best would
be one of the professional hard-disk jukeboxes from Arrakis Systems
(http://www.arrakis-systems.com). Their products were originally
designed for professional markets, like radio stations. They do come
with PC-based control software, but I've not used it.

What makes them particularly suitable for your application is that
they support multiple independent zones, so you could have different
music playing for different passengers (unit comes with three zones,
and can be expanded to 96). The 'pro' model supports balanced audio
outputs - I don't know how long your wiring runs will be, but I'd
imagine that the environment is electrically 'noisy'. While you could
get balanced line drivers/receivers separately, it's better if the
device actually outputs balanced audio in the first place.

XLR connectors (the type used for balanced audio) are a lot more
robust - and actually lock together. I'd be wary of temperature
cycling and vibration working normal RCA connectors loose. If you do
need to use RCA connectors, I would recommend looking at the line of
'locking' RCA connectors from WBT (http://www.wbtusa.com/). Their
stuff is very expensive by consumer standards, but perhaps not by
aircraft standards. It would be worth the extra money if it avoided
connectors working loose. If those do prove to be too expensive, at
least use the 'turbine' cut RCA plugs that MonsterCable
(http://www.monstercable.com/) uses on its better cables - they hold
pretty tight.

Hope that gives you something to go on.

Paul