[slinkelist] IR to Xantech connector

Wayne McKeen wmckeen1@home.com
Mon, 20 Mar 2000 19:20:51 -0500

I will contribute in any way I can...If given the details I can lay the
board out (double-sided recommended for reliability) and provide gerber
files etc... ready for films. I think all can benefit...

Wayne

-----Original Message-----
From: slinkelist-admin@nirvis.com [mailto:slinkelist-admin@nirvis.com]On
Behalf Of thomasdr@us.ibm.com
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2000 9:06 AM
To: slinkelist@nirvis.com
Subject: Re: [slinkelist] IR to Xantech connector

---------------------- Forwarded by Dave Thomas/Raleigh/IBM on 03/20/2000
09:00 AM ---------------------------

Dave Thomas
03/20/2000 09:03 AM

To:   <simon@themasons.net>
cc:
From: Dave Thomas/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
Subject:  Re: [slinkelist] IR to Xantech connector  (Document link: 3)

I'm working on a PC card that will accept up to seven inputs from Xantech
receivers.   The card will
demodulate the Xantech signals using a PLD.

The card uses opto-isolaters to fully isolated the IR signals from the
SLINK card.  (I didn't like the idea of running
the SLINK ground all around my house!)

The card has a D-sub connector for direct interface to the SLINK.  The
Xantech wires will be terminated in screw type, minature terminal blocks.
The IR transmit signals from the SLINK DSUB, are also routed to the
terminal block so the IR cable going to the room that has the Xantech
receiver can also carry an extra wire for an IR transmitter.

You can also optionally populate a second PLD that is used to IO further
exand the IO available from the SLINK.  I'm not sure how many additional IO
I can provide--when I finish the layout I'll populate the remaining card
perimeter with terminal blocks and that will determine the IO available.

The PLD's will be programmable via the SLINK interface.  I've designed the
PLDs and I'm interfacing the PLD programming software  to the the C++
classes Colby provides.

The card is designed to mount on a punch down block holder, directly under
the SLINK.

I'm doing this for my own use.  I bought the SLINK planning to build a home
automation system around but didn't realize
I couldn't use the Xantech signals directly into the SLINK.  If I can find
anyone to share the cost of card fabrication, I could do it more
professionally (silk screen, maybe multilayer, etc).  Currently, I'm
routing the card as a single sided card so I can try etching the board
myself.  (I'm worried the line pitch required by the PLD's may be too fine
for my crude ability to etch my own card).    I'm not sure what the raw
card will cost;  I'm guessing $200 - $300 for 10 to 20 cards.

If there is any interest, I'll post the schematics and card layout on the
SLINK website.

Regards,

Dave Thomas