[slinkelist] Feature Request

Mike Patterson mike@col.hp.com
Tue, 02 May 2000 12:48:28 -0600

Sorry about the delay in responding-- I've been busy.

>To "queue faster" create playlist optimize it or manually choose when
>which song is played and SAVE it and load when ever you need. Or do like
>me, rip the favorite cd's to mp3 and create virtual Album from it (and
>disable the cd in CDJ library) then there is no delay between songs.
>(IMHO I don't think many people want to buy 2 of the same cd, and twice
>as many players)

But for those of us that have two players, or a player and an MP3 system,
or something similar, it would be nice to be able to make this identification.

Let's try another example. Let's say I have had a CD in my cd player for a
long time, and it's my favorite, so it appears in all my playlists.

Now I go out and get an MP3 of one of the songs from that CD. It would be
great if I could ID it as the same song as on the CD so that CDJ could
realize that it would be quicker to play the MP3 than the copy on the CD.
This means I don't have to change my playlists-- some of which are in random
order and have no effective way of searching for a song.

>I think you should be able to do the "minor feature" on your own adding
>the stop command to the map file (read the help) even though I really
>don't understand why you would want to. In maps you can program other
>player(s) to stop then one starts playing (even with delay) I you have
>Control-A1 Amp them you can do much more.

my CD player has an audio in jack. When there are no CDs playing, the CD
player passes the sound from the audio in through. When a CD is paused,
it is considered "playing". CDJ, when it cues a disk, pauses the CD, therefore
no sound gets passed through, and I can't use the setup as a simple mixer.

A couple other things I've noticed:

* You can't sort playlists. Why is this useful? Because songs have been added
  to my playlists in a somewhat random fashion, it is difficult to find a
  particular song on the list in order to delete it.

* Occasionally CDJ "loses" the CD player. As far as I can tell, CDJ thinks
  it is still sending commands to the CD player (from examining the playlist),
  but the cd player continues with whatever it was doing when CDJ lost track.

* Windows 98 won't shut down since I installed the CDJ software. Although it's
  not that important to me, it's a minor inconvenience.

To go along with my wish list above, I gotta say that CDJ is still a great
piece of software!