[slinkelist] Video cards w/TV support (off topic)

Mike Hardy mhardy@home.com
Wed, 10 May 2000 14:15:15 -0700

I use the hauppauge wintv card as well as the ATI all-in-Wonder Pro.

take a look at http://www.hauppauge.com.

I have seen the PCI cards as well as the USB TV Tuner/ Capture Cards on
Sale at Comp USA for less than $50. You will still need a camera. A
camcorder will do as well as almost any in expensive camera. Stay away
from the X-10 Camera's they need way to much light. Target sells a Black
and white video camera with power supply and 75 feet of twisted pair
cable for under $50.00. They go fast when advertised. The camera is
sensitive to infra red light and has 6 IR LED's to illuminate a dark
room.

You can use many applications to capture the data, video confernce or
just watch tv.
take a look at www.gotchanow.com. Great app for security as well as
other needs.

(I posted the following message on comp.home.automation earlier this
week.)

I'm not sure if anyone is aware of this, but Windows 98 allows the
download of tv listings from http://broadcast.microsoft.com/epgdata/.
You must have Win98, a TV tuner card and web tv installed.

I suggest the ATI all in wonder series. The Hauppauge wintv's work well
also. The Data is available as a MDB database and can be used by other
applications.

The Database could be used to control the TV and VCR from VBA, a Home
Automation Controller or some other IR device like a slink-e.

I'm not the one to develop an application to do anything with the data.
Anyone else?