[slinkelist] Sony DVD Changers

Sinan Karasu allahsiz@home.com
Thu, 18 May 2000 21:28:41 -0700

Gerry Duprey wrote:

> On Wed, 17 May 2000, Ken Geoffrion wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have any personal evaluations/recommendations on Sony's
> > DVP-CX850D changer?
>
> It's both great and a pain.  The unit performs very well - great video and
> sound (has on-board DD decoder, if you need it).  Disk to disk switch time
> is reasonable and it's pretty nicely built.  It's a little wierd with
> disks that have a pan and scan and wide screen side, but you can figure it
> out.  "flipper" disks (i.e. Das Boot) are a bit of a trial since the unit
> doesn't seem to handle them without manual intervention.
[...]

I both agree and disagree. We had ours for about 8 months now and we
love it.

1) We only use it as DVD changer. (It is too slow to use as a CD
changer).
2) Only about 4-5 % of DVDs have Text included./ Everything else
   you have to type in. ( after the first schock, it took about an hour
   to input 120 titles thru a logitech wireless keyboard.)
3) We also have 3 CD changers ( 200,200,300), so we don't need the
   850 on Slinke.
4) Do you really watch so many movies a day that you need to control
   it with a computer?

  Now , my pet-peeve is Sony SAT-A50. Has an interesting bug. If you
also
have a Smart File VCR ( like Sony , M20), then set it up as such:

1) Set DSS SAT-A50 to be on the RF remote.
2) Have DSS SAT-A50 control M20.
   ( You have to set it up as a Smart File VCR interface)
3) Time record thru the DSS multiple programs.
4) When the recording is done, DSS will have one of these
   symptoms:
   a) It will have switched from RF interface to IR interface.
   b) additionally, it will not stop the tape after final record,
      but will also put random info on the Smart File Chip.

  After going around with Sony about this with 4 units

  1) First unit exhibited these symptoms
  2) Second unit, RF remote input did not even work.
  3) 3 rd unit randomy switched to IR without any intervention.
  4) 4 th unit was exactly like the first unit, at which point
     I ran out of energy , and the will to pursue it any longer.

  Now to the why I have to use RF ? Because Also have an old SAT-A2,
which is
on the IR remote. And it was very interesting when you were buying
a pay-per view on one channel, you were unwittingly buying another movie
on another random channel. At least that is how I explained those
PlayBoy
purchases to my wife...

Sinan