[slinkelist] (no subject)

Tony Golden MrGolden@swbell.net
Sun, 28 May 2000 11:49:13 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Jeff Rothfus <saranac.tv@worldnet.att.net>
To: <slinkelist@nirvis.com>
Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2000 9:49 PM
Subject: Re: [slinkelist] (no subject)

> Can relays alone switch speaker-level audio?

Yes.  Verify that the relay contacts are rated for the proper power.  For
"normal" listening levels, a 1 to 3 amp rating should be sufficient.  It
never hurts to go larger, though.

> - Is any sort of 'pop' suppression also required?

Normally, no.  However, try to avoid switching the speakers on, with the amp
already at a high volume.

> - Is it healthy to allow an audio amp to drive an open circuit?

For most modern amps, this is not a problem.  The only exception is tube
amplifiers (which are extremely rare).