[slinkelist] Digital Audio server

Ian Cole iancole@earthlink.net
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 09:36:35 -0500

Sony was displaying a functioning receiver, DVD player and single-disc cd
player with firewire support at COMDEX - I asked & of course the answer was
"prototype" - When I asked about a cd-changer with firewire, I got the
"sometime in the future" response. I'm sure the CES would be a better forum
to really find out what's happening, but I hoped firewire would be available
today :>(

I agree - I use my slink-e for more than just cd-changer control, but I
suspect most people use it for only that & haven't branched out to control
other devices.

----- Original Message -----
From: <shawn@sboyle.com>
To: <slinkelist@nirvis.com>
Sent: Friday, November 17, 2000 9:13 AM
Subject: Re: [slinkelist] Digital Audio server

> I think this depends on which direction Sony goes with their equipment. As
long as they keep a two way interface, whether it's Control A1 or two way
IR, or Firewire, or whatever, there will be a need for the hardware based
Slink-e. Personally I will never give up my CD changers. Hard drives are
fast, but it's all too easy to lose data. I'll still use MP3s to copy the
occasional disc that I don't like enough to spend $15 on, but I'll keep the
bulk of my music on nice, safe, cheap CDs. [If my math is right the cost/MB
of CDs in a changer is much lower that of hard drives.]

> Then there's my Sony receiver and MD deck both of which I control with the
Slink-e, and if Sony wakes up and gives it's next line of DVD changers the
same Control A1II features that it's CD changers have, I'll be all set.

> I'm going to keep my little Slink-e box a part of my home theater setup
for as long as I can.

> -Shawn
>

> On Thu, 16 November 2000, Brian Atkins wrote:
>

> > no no no, what Colby has to realize is that with 180GB hard drives now
> > becoming available, he needs to work on ditching the whole hardware
based
> > CDJ approach (i.e. slink-e and changers). He needs to come up with a way
> > to auto-rip CDs via changers into WAVs, and modify CDJ to work with
those.
> > I want to get rid of my changers!!! (and I hate MP3 quality) I would
gladly
> > pay for the CDJ software if it could do this.
> >
> > P.S. I am not sure if it is what you want, but look at shoutcast.com
> >
> > Tom Hammond-Doel wrote:
> > >
> > > Slightly off subject.
> > >
> > > Is there a REASONABLY priced digital audio server out there?  All the
> > > thing has to do is have an ethernet connection in and a decoded MP3
> > > audio out.  After that, even CDJ could control the thing with the
> > > correct interface placed on it.
> > >
> > > I've seen the Audiotron, DAS, and AudioRequest, but they're over
spec'd
> > > and subsequently overpriced.
> > >
> > > Just a SIMPLE NETWORK MP3 PLAYER!  That's not too much to ask is it?
Is