[slinkelist] Re: Digital Audio server

Tom Hammond-Doel Tom.Hammond-Doel@Vixel.com
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 07:56:55 -0800

Ian Cole wrote:

> Would you have storage local in each device?

Under my selfish view of specifying this device, it would not have local storage
and would basically just be a thin-client.

> Any display or just a closed "black-box"?

Black box.  The control area has been the most confusing in the industry.  Over
two years ago we had a discussion on this board on the need for what have now
been called "internet appliances", like the WebPAD, to control home systems.
Bose has a nice little LCD touch pad, but it doesn't quite kit the mark.  Having
multiple types of controllers will be coming out soon enough.  The ability to
have a nice little color display that can show the ALBUM cover of a song that is
currently playing (AKA, Party GUI or CDJ) that is touch-screen capable is very
desirable.  We're already there, but the price-point still hasn't hit yet.
Alternatively, I could live right now with one of those $99 Palm-Look-Alikes and
a serial connection - as long as they can be programmed to handle home
automation needs.