[slinkelist] MP3??? No way!

AndyStein@aol.com AndyStein@aol.com
Sun, 19 Nov 2000 13:56:04 EST

--part1_57.dbdb093.27497c44_boundary

       Two questions come to mind:

       1.  Any thoughts on the sound quality of MP3s vs. that of CDs? I
haven't directly compared the two, but some believe MP3s do not sound as good.

       2.  Are the CD's optics more reliable than the magnetics of the hard
drive? Perhaps the reliability of the hard drive becomes less of a concern if
one retains the source CDs, but it would be cumbersome to re-rip an entire CD
collection should the hard drive fail.

       Andrew

In a message dated 11/18/00 2:25:01 PM Pacific Standard Time,
brian@posthuman.com writes:

> It doesn't matter, with hard drives doubling in capacity every 12 months
> the amount of storage per dollar is going to completely outstrip any kind
> of proprietary format. I would love to rip all my DVDs to hard drives too.
>
> The ultimate goal is to have a media server that will hold your collection,
> and also access the Net via broadband or faster connection to interface to
> other people's collections so you can have access to any content you want at
> any time from anywhere.
>
> Shawn Boyle wrote:
> >
> > You can get a 400 disc changer for $360 SRP today.
> >
> > While it's probably true that today's audio CDs in a changer won't be able
> > to compete with a HD, in a couple of years one of these other formats
> could
> > very well be giving CDs a run for their money. I really believe it's not
> if,
> > but when. If audio DVDs turn out to be the next big thing, that's
> > potentially 4.4 GB of data per disc. Fill a 400 disc changer with those
> and
> > that's ~1.7 TB [and that's assuming they're single sided]. I still don't
> > think it's worth the trouble to rip my entire collection to any computer
> > format. Maybe it's because I don't have a real need for portability.
> >
> > -Shawn

<HTML><FONT  SIZE=2>  &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Two questions come to mind:
<BR>
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1. &nbsp;Any thoughts on the sound quality of MP3s vs. that of CDs? I <BR>haven't directly compared the two, but some believe MP3s do not sound as good.
<BR>
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2. &nbsp;Are the CD's optics more reliable than the magnetics of the hard <BR>drive? Perhaps the reliability of the hard drive becomes less of a concern if <BR>one retains the source CDs, but it would be cumbersome to re-rip an entire CD <BR>collection should the hard drive fail.
<BR>
<BR>
<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Andrew
<BR>
<BR>