[slinkelist] CD Players vs HD observation

Schaaf John JSchaaf@wyseadv.com
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 15:00:21 -0500

Please explain the nibble factor.  I have never heard of this and will look
at my cd's.  Also, are there MTBF specs on the changers?  HD's should have
them listed somewhere for analysis.  2500 cd's, holy s**t!!  I also really
do have a hard time believing that you can hear the difference between a
320k encoded MP3 and the actual cd but I have never tested it on a "Good"
stereo.  Mine was under $1000, all Sony, older rcvr, etc...  Oh well.  MP3's
work fine for me.  Everyone just needs to analyze their own personal
situation and decide what is best for them.

-----Original Message-----
From: Marc Parker [mailto:parkdog@ix.netcom.com]
Sent: Monday, November 20, 2000 2:38 PM
To: Saleh W. Igal; slinkelist@nirvis.com
Subject: [slinkelist] CD Players vs HD observation

I don't know how often your players are in use, but ours run AT LEAST 6-8
hours a day. The oldest is about 3yrs. They WILL and DO wear out. More
important, they BREAK. You are then forced to unload all (200-400) cds, take
it in, wait, wait, wait and then RELOAD and if you don't put them back in
the same order, re-lookup. I currently have 8 Sony changers and have
replaced two over the 3 years.

Not a complaint (cost of doing business), but IMO, the more mechanics, the
less reliable. I know HD's are also mechanical and do fail, so that will
create it's own problems. How do you back up a 100 gig drive? Should you
have 4-5 20 gig drives (less use per drive)?

If I ever have to store cd's (about 2500) I would use the least space
possible and put them in a utility closet, not display. The little booklets
can be cataloged for reference.

And BTW, are you aware of the "nibble" factor. The changers do indeed nibble
away at the cd edges. Granted it is small, but over time it does seem to
become noticeable. I'm curious if after 5-10 years of play if the the
nibbles will approach the play area. That's probably extreme.