[slinkelist] CDJ Feature Request

Michael Holopainen michael@laserle.fi
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 13:08:34 +0200

This is my "open letter" to Colby Boles, I just tought to CC to the list
also.

Colby, first I must say :
Thank you for your wonderful job on CDJ.

I know I have bothered you A LOT in past asking this and that but what
you think about adding movement command to CDJ automation ?
(not mouse movement / not "scrolling" but similar to "up/down_arrow" &
"TAB" keypress actions)

CDJ-Automation commands to step up/down in lists (Albums, Tracks,
Playlist)

1. StepListUp = moves focus to the row above currently selected row
(listitem)
2. SteplistDown = moves focus to the row below currently selected row
(listitem)
3. NextList = jumps from one list to another : Albums  -> Tracks ->
Playlist and back to Albums
----------------------------------
In programming term :
1-2:
Stepping command should be easy :
The function stepping up/down in list just first determines which list
has focus and then increases/decreases index value of selected item.
If focus is not in any of these 3 lists (ALBUMS, TRACKS, PLAYLIST) then
no action.
3:
Moving focus from one list to another should be equally easy determine
what list has focus, and then move focus to next list in predetermined
(hard-coded) order Albums->Tracks->Playlist-><back to Albums>. If none
of those list have focus, then set focus to Albums.

You could add SetFocusToTracks, ...toAlbums, etc , but it would require
more buttons in IR remote to control CDJ.
------------------------------------

With adding these 3 simple commands one could have almost conmplete
control over CDJ via IR remote.
(since add to playlist & playlist start / stop command already exist)

I LOVE !!! CDJ but this what I'm suggesting would allow users to make
KISS interface to CDJ for their quests. Like the sony VisionTouch, it's
amazing anybody can learn to use it in 5-10 seconds. With this the
"entry level" to use CDJ would be SOOOOOOOOOOOO much lower.
With years of experience I can say 6 buttons is the limit for avarage
user to use the remote controller. after vol+/- it leaves 4 :
StepListUp, StepListDown, nextList, addtoplaylist.

Trying to use mouse cursor with IR remote is doomed idea, specially if
some of the GUEST users can't even use mouse, but "smart move" where
focus shifts to next command button in the direction pointed by user =
like VisionTouch is great for beginners

Please, pretty please ........

Please reply.

-michael (A)
--
   --"Would you fly on airplane controlled by MS Windows ?"--
| Michael Holopainen | Valuraudantie 25 | Tel: +358-(0)9-35093825  |