[slinkelist] Xantech Interface (better late than never?)

thomasdr@us.ibm.com thomasdr@us.ibm.com
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 09:38:19 -0400

I've successfully completed testing  a card  that I designed for my own use
that connects to the D shell
connector of the Slinke.  The simple 4.3" x 3.2" card provides termination
and
optical isolation for seven Xantech receivers.  It also optically isolates
the IR transmit signals originating from the Slinke module.

It does not operate stand-alone--it simple provides isolation and
demodulation of received Xantech signals for the slinke.

The card uses an Altera 7064 PLD to demodulate the Xantech signals.
The same card can be used with a different PLD program to provide IO
expansion via the slinke DIO signals.  I've programmed the prototypes using
the Altera Byteblaster, but I'm adding the ability to program the PLD
through
the SLINKE.

The card is 100% SMT, except for the D shell connectors and 100 mil
terminal
blocks.  It is currently a two-sided card.  The screw type. 100 mil spacing
terminal blocks have five signals each:

    ISO_RX
    ISO_TX
    +12
    DIRTY_GND
    SHIELD

The unit uses a separate, 12V supply to provide power to the Xantech
receivers and to power the isolated IR transmit signals.

The DIRTY_GND and +12 come from the 12V supply.  The +12V powers the
Xantech
receivers while the ISO_RX is the output signal from the Xantech receivers.
The shield is optional, but if used can be connected to ground at either
end
(but not both) of the interconnecting wire.

If there is sufficient interest, I'd get more cards fabricated.  I might
change the card size slightly to fit in the same cover
as the slinke.   (The existing card  form factor was designed to fit on the
back of a rack mounted, 66 punch down block).
Also, seven Xantech interfaces may be overkill.  For my personal use, I
converted one of the opto isolation circuits for control-s.
(While slink provides an slinke interface, it does not provide isolation
and therefore ties the ground of the slink card to the
controlled/controlling appliance).

Previously, I had about five people express interest.  That wouldn't be
enough to get the cards fabricated and populated at a reasonable cost.
I'd have to do the soldering myself and just don't have the time.  I'd need
about 100 orders to set up a vendor to populate the cards.  If I get
signficant interest, I'll get some quotes.

Dave Thomas
thomasdr@us.ibm.com