[slinkelist] Multi-room controls

Igal, Saleh saleh.igal@archongroup.com
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 18:24:29 -0600

I use a laptop with an 802.11 wireless connection; a server runs slinkesrv.
The server also has my MDB file, covers, and playlists.  If I'm anywhere
within earshot, I just grab the laptop to control CDJ.  It works great -- I
get full CDJ control from anywhere inside or outside the house.

There are two annoyances that you will see in any CDJ/DCOM network
configuration.  First, CDJ updates reset the DCOM connection data, so I have
to run DCOMCNFG and reconfigure DCOM after every CDJ update.  Second, if CDJ
crashes, I have to manually go and restart slinkesrv.

The newer 11 Mbps wireless cards are fast enough that there's no significant
difference between having the MDB and covers on the server versus the
laptop.  If my wife's using the laptop, I just revert back to running CDJ on
the server, since it has the MDB and covers.

If you're planning to buy a new PC anyway, I'd strongly recommend
considering spending a few hundred bucks more for a laptop and wireless LAN.

-----Original Message-----
From: slinkelist-admin@nirvis.com [mailto:slinkelist-admin@nirvis.com]On
Behalf Of Ron Tugender
Sent: Monday, October 30, 2000 10:08 am
To: Slinke-List
Subject: [slinkelist] Multi-room controls

I've been using Slink-e/CDJ for a while now, but in a rather simple way.
I've had in my office one PC running CDJ, natively controlling a pair of
Sony changers in the living room, with a long Cat-5 run from the PC to the
Slink-e and a long speaker connection from the amplifier in the living room
to satellite speakers in the office.  I did most of my listening in the
office, so having the primary CDJ control there was convenient enough.

I've now acquired a home theatre setup with gorgeous audio in the living
room.  I still intend to do a fair amount of listening in the office, but
now quite a bit more in the living room.  I now want to control the Sony
players through CDJ (or perhaps PartyGUI) in both the office and the living
room.

I have a few thoughts on how I might do this, but before I bias the feedback
I'd rather first ask for suggestions from people who have already done
something similar.  To focus the suggestions, I'm prepared if necessary to
put another PC in the living room and LAN connection between the living room
and office.

Ideas, anyone?

Thanks,
Ron