[slinkelist] Audio Cards for PC

Carl J. Rose cjrose@mediaone.net
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 23:06:09 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0020_01C01D0E.09F0D660

Hi Slinker's,

I made the unfortunate mistake of buying a SB Live Platinum card for my =
latest computer cause I wanted digital and analog line out's to hook in =
to audio system. =20

Well, I have found out that  the digital is not a optical out but is a =
"spdif" (can somebody give me a quick lesson on this?)  and the analog =
"line out" is misnamed  'cause it is controlled by the system volume and =
it is the only out for front speakers on the card!  Effectively, I have =
neither of the line outs I desired when I ponied up the cash for the =
card.

I have found that they do offer an optional side card to give optical =
out that is preferred for audio.

However, I really don't want to give these people more money to get =
still only partially what I want.  What normal, low cost cards will give =
me at least a real analog line out???

Thanks, carl

------=_NextPart_000_0020_01C01D0E.09F0D660

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi Slinker's,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I made the unfortunate mistake of =
buying a SB Live=20
Platinum card for my latest computer cause I wanted digital and analog =
line=20
out's to hook in to audio system.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Well, I have found out that&nbsp; the =
digital is=20
not a optical out but is a "spdif" (can somebody give me a quick lesson =
on=20
this?)  and the analog "line out" is misnamed&nbsp; 'cause it is =
controlled by=20
the system volume and it is the only out for front speakers on the =
card!&nbsp;=20
Effectively, I have neither of the line outs I desired when I ponied up =
the cash=20
for the card.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have found that they do offer an =
optional side=20
card to give optical out that is preferred for audio.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>However, I really don't want to give =
these people=20
more money to get still only partially what I want.&nbsp; What normal, =
low cost=20
cards will give me at least a real analog line out???</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks, carl</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0020_01C01D0E.09F0D660--