[slinkelist] Jukebox Server

Brian Atkins brian@posthuman.com
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 22:51:04 -0400

I use shoutcast to broadcast 128kbit MP3 (search around the net long enough
and you can find the right codec for this), and PcAnywhere for remote control
of my CDJ computer. Actually if you set the shoutcast source down to a lower
bitrate I find I can even hear my CDs in my car via Metricom's 128kbit wireless
service in Atlanta and a laptop.

However the long term preferable solution is to transfer all my CDs and
eventually DVDs to hard drives in perfect quality (no compression). This
is becoming feasible now with devices like the new Maxtor network attached
storage RAID boxes that have cheap price per gigabyte of storage. Just need
software for the control!!