[slinkelist] WishLists

Mike Macgirvin mike@macgirvin.com
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 22:24:25 -0700

PaulMmn wrote:

> Dear Colby,
>
> Thank you for all of your continued hard work keeping CDJ current.
> It's a marvelous piece of work.
>
> Now, while I've got you in a good mood  (;  I'll add my request to
> the Wish List:
>
> Once a playlist is playing is there any way to keep the 'Now Playing'
> entry centered in the playlist window?  It's not a really serious
> issue, but I'd class it in the 'nice to have' category.

Maybe we could kill two birds with one stone. I mentioned earlier that
it'd be nice to have the "now playing" exported to file for those of us
unable to setup active-x/com (for various technical reasons) and get the
info via RPC. I'd still like that, so what if "now playing" was a
program which just read from that file in a separate program? Then we
could use the same program from networked computers and just access the
file share without the COM setup issues.

I'd like to see what's playing from anywhere in the house (slink-e is in
the media lab upstairs, not in the "living centers"). I can do this by
buying a new computer to be an NT domain server and then getting the
info from the active control, but it seems a waste to spend 1-2k for
this one (desirable) feature (and decreasing the reliability of the
overall system because of the NT auth dependancy). It isn't desirable
enough to spend 1-2k on, especially if I must compromise reliability to
get there. CDJ knows what's playing, it would be nice to be able to
display it remotely for a lesser cost.

Even better than a fileshare would be a mini-TCP-server (not COM based)
which any computer could access including my Linux boxes (hint they run
the website). Accept connections on port <something> and every time the
client pinged with a carriage return or something spit back the current
song info including elapsed time. The server solution has the advantage
that it could be in real time whereas export to file is dependant on the
refresh interval.

PS> the 9/16 version is noticeably better in a lot of respects than 8/14
or whatever it was. No glitches encountered by me, and notable
improvements in several key areas. A worthy mention: I tried to setup
one of the album cover import tools from the user-supplied software
area, and it complains about DLL mismatch (fatal). That's not a CDJ
issue, but if you read this and happen to own the album cover program,
we could use an update.