[slinkelist] Random play in newest version

Igal, Saleh saleh.igal@archongroup.com
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 13:13:12 -0500

I get exactly this result, but have never used the random play feature.  I
just do a search on what I want to listen to, drag it all to the playlist
pane, and hit shuffle, optimize, play.

-----Original Message-----
From: slinkelist-admin@nirvis.com [mailto:slinkelist-admin@nirvis.com]On
Behalf Of Mike Kropp
Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2000 2:30 pm
To: Jay Pfaffman
Cc: Colby Boles; Slink-e List
Subject: RE: [slinkelist] Random play in newest version

I don't keep that many in the playlist.  Just 10 previous and five beyond.
I suppose I could up it but that's not really the point.

I had a five disc Sony player.  I could put five discs in it, say shuffle
all discs, it would play tracks randomly from the discs and then stop.  Each
track got played exactly once.

What I'd like is for CDJ to take my search list, randomly go through it and
play tracks (or discs) without repeating any until it has played them all.
Generally, I don't get through them all but sometimes I do depending on the
search.  If I have a small search list, I'd still like to hear everything
once before repeating.  Perhaps a piece of data (not in the database)
associated with each item in the search list for the pass.  Start out at
zero, each time a track is played, increment the value.  When selecting a
new track, look at that value and don't select it if it is the same as the
current pass.

Alternatively, refresh the search list from the search criteria
periodically.  This would move out old, already played entries, and bring
new ones in that match the criteria (assuming the dates go by actual time
rather than just the day - i.e., 9/22/00 2:55 PM is more than a week before
9/29/00 3:00 PM but 9/22/00 3:05 PM is not).

I shouldn't have to artificially adjust my playlist random play settings to
accomplish this.

--Mike