Fwd: RE: [slinkelist] Random play in newest version

Jeff Schaffer j.schaffer@snet.net
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 16:43:36 -0400

[I sent this in reply to a note sent by Colby and omitted the distlist.]

Colby,

On the priorities, some comments, questions:

1. aren't already in the playlist (items can fall off the list)
2. aren't from the same player (as the last track in the playlist?)
3. have a short queue time (what's the definition of this?)

Re-evaluating the search can be a problem with long lists on slow
machines. I know, because I have a slow machine and over 5000 tracks
in my normal play list, generated each session from a query.

How about replacing #1 with not played in the last n hours (default
24, overridable in configuration options)? If none qualify, fall back
to n/2 hours, then n/4, etc.

Also, this is a little off-track, but I select where:

      (nt = 0) and (not kw = christmas)

forcing cdj to pick songs not yet played. The nt value gets
incremented very shortly after a track begins playing. The problem is
that when I interrupt a track to stop playing or shut down, that
track is marked as having played. I'd prefer if cdj incremented nt
when it ends-the-track/starts-the-next-track in the play list. An
option to select the nt increment policy (start or end) would be
perfectly fine. I'd just prefer interrupted tracks to remain
un-incremented.

Jeff