[slinkelist] Recommendation for quiet PC?

Stan Kurzet skurzetfr@home.com
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 14:05:14 -0800

Wow!  This topic has really hit a lot of hot buttons.

Had this problem myself way back when and concluded that putting the PC in a
closet and working it via wireless keyboard and TV on screen feedback via an
ATI "all in wonder" was the easiest and cheapest way out.  Works like a
charm.  Got to use a discarded PII 400 machine off the garage shelf.  The
keyboard is IR and cost 59 bucks.  Drilled a hole through the closet wall
and put the keyboard IR receiver in a gutted defunct motion detector case
and mounted it on the wall near the ceiling just like one would expect a
burglar sensor to be.  It also provides a good unobstructed location for the
IR beam.  The keyboard is a "lite-on" Model SK-7100.  It is small, light
weight,  runs on 4 AA batteries  that last for weeks, and I use rechargeable
NiMh's.  Best of all the keyboard has a built in pointing stick mouse that
works super.  The video is a bit mushy  so I might break down and get a
video card with a better DAC now that they are a bunch cheaper.

At one time, I had the PC  further away and used a RF extender to control
it.  That worked OK but was on the same band as the garage door opener so
there were glitches  when the door controller was used.

Cheers,

Stan