[slinkelist] Problem with LAN shares

Ron Tugender ron@tugender.com
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 12:18:07 -0800

In my current configuration I am running CDJ on one system accessing its
library database through a LAN share to the actual MDB file on another
Windows 2000 Pro system.  In general this works fine, though I have run into
a couple of glitches.

Occasionally during a library auto-save CDJ will complain with error
80004005 that there was a disk or network error.  I have understandably
received this error when the system hosting the library database file was
rebooted while CDJ was running.  But it has also occurred when the LAN and
both systems were up continuously at all times prior to the error.
* Why does this happen?

Very annoying is what happens once one of these database access errors
occurs.  Once the error has occurred, even though the library file is
demonstrably accessible, CDJ continues to complain with the same error,
apparently having permanently trashed whatever runtime state it maintains
about the library.  This is especially annoying attempting to exit CDJ when
auto-save is turned on.  Because CDJ attempts to auto-save at exit, when the
library access fails, CDJ just reports the error and refuses to exit.  The
only way I've found to cleanly exit CDJ and get it running properly again is
to disable auto-save, exit (refusing the library update prompt), then
re-start CDJ and re-enable auto-save.
* Can CDJ be convinced to re-attempt library access once it has failed?
* Can CDJ allow a clean exit even after a library access failure?

Thanks,
Ron

Ron Tugender
408-378-0777