[slinkelist] Basic Need / Question from a Newbie

Saleh W. Igal saleh@yahoo.com
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 17:37:45 -0600

Yes, you can do this -- there are several schools of thought on the best
way.

1) VNC.  In your case, probably a remote control based approach would work
best.  VNC (www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/) lets you remote control a host PC.
Install the slink-e on the host PC, install VNC on the host PC, and use any
of the remote PCs to take over the host.  The benefits are easy setup and a
single set of configuration settings.  Also, you can start CDJ from PC 1,
start a playlist, close the connection from PC 1, go to PC 2, re-open the
connection, control it... without interrupting the music.  The downside is
that this doesn't handle different screen resolutions very well -- if you
have a high resolution display on the host and a low-resolution client,
you'll do a lot of scrolling.  Also, if you want to use CDJ from a remote
PC, and your wife wants to read e-mail on the server PC, you'll see her
e-mail rather than your CDJ -- the client and server display the exact same
thing.

2) DCOM.  CDJ has full blown client/server support through DCOM: a server
(slinkesrv) runs on the server that is connected to the slink-e, and a
client (CDJ) runs on a client PC.  This addresses VNCs limitations.
However, it's a bit harder to set up, and even if you point all PCs to the
same database on the network, they can still get different settings (e.g.
toolbars, display settings...) from the local registry on each machine.
Also, you can't start a playlist on PC 1 and move to PC 2 without
interrupting the music.  As a minor issue, every CDJ update resets some DCOM
settings, so you manually have to reconfigure after each CDJ update (only
takes about a minute, but kind of a pain as frequently as Colby updates
CDJ.)

3) WTS.  Windows Terminal Service works similar to VNC, but lifts the screen
resolution and client/server seeing the same thing limitations.  However, it
requires the slink-e server to run Windows 2000 Server, and only supports
256 colors, making your cover art look a little crummy.

4) Terminal server/device server.  A terminal server (also known as a device
server) has an Ethernet port plus one or more serial ports.  Software on the
PC handles mapping a local device name (e.g. COM8) to a port on the terminal
server.  See the ETS series on www.lantronix.com for examples.  This
basically Ethernet-enables any serial device, but they are expensive
($1000+) unless you happen to pick one up on ebay or a used equipment site.
This has limitations similar to DCOM, but doesn't require a server PC.

There are some other options, but most folks are using #1 or #2.