[slinkelist] RF remote mouse

Taylor Gautier tgautier@corp.home.net
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 15:00:28 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0893_01BF470D.2007EB00

Yes, I have had the MouseRemote for over a year.  I also just recently =
purchased the X10 DVD Anywhere product (meaning I now have 2 =
MouseRemotes).

I am only marginally happy with both of these products.  X10 equipment =
is always, in my opinion, a little on the rough side, not too attractive =
designs and the functionality usually performs as advertised, but not =
spectacularly so.

In the case of the MouseRemote, it overrides your existing mouse.  You =
plug your mouse into it, and then you plug the MR into your computer.  =
To make this work correctly, you must install X10's mouse driver.  This =
I believe is the inherent weakness of the system (the whole mouse =
doohicky).

On my old P133 (where the MR was installed for the year, I just upgraded =
to a new system) I installed everything and it worked ok, except for =
occasional mouse "glitches".  These would exhibit themselves as the =
mouse moving around, clicking at random intervals and other strangeness =
(very hard to use the computer while the product is in use for typing a =
paper for instance)

They say it's due to "PS/2" losing sync signals, but I think it's just =
their crappy product.  I will say that my old system did not support =
PS/2 style connectors, and thus I was taking my PS/2 mouse, plugging it =
into the MR, and then the MR into a converter and into the Serial Port.  =
Recently I removed the MR component (while leaving the driver intact) =
and all of the problems went away (of course I couldn't use the MR =
anymore).

This behavior was/is very problematic for controlling programs, because =
essentially the program just emulates keyboard and mouse behaviors, with =
a few extras thrown in.  The major problem comes when you launch an =
application (say an MP3 player) and the cursor is pointing somewhere =
over the desktop.  After some interval of time your are (I was at least) =
guaranteed to get a random click, taking the focus away from the MP3 =
player, and thus losing all control over it.  The solution is that =
before any attempt to control the computer, I would always push the =
appropriate control button.

I might add that a friend of mine purchased the MR immediately after I =
did, and experienced similar problems.  Though not exactly the same, his =
experience matches mine in that the overall satisfaction with the =
product has diminished with time as it's flaws become more and more =
aggravating.

As for the DVD/MP3 Anywhere, I am not terribly impressed by it's =
quality.  The unit itself seems to cause a low amount of signal noise to =
be generated in the output, regardless of the input signal.  I am only =
transmitting the signal about 100 ft, so I expected pretty good =
operation.  My assessment is that it is suitable for a party where you =
might want music going in two or more different rooms, but don't listen =
to classical over it.  It is also susceptible to fuzz/noise when walking =
around (something I had hoped would not be a problem because it's "2.4 =
GHz").  In addition it is VERY unhappy when I turn on my 2.4 GHz phone, =
as you can imagine.  I tried changing channels on both devices, to no =
avail.=20

The video quality was reasonable, about what you'd expect for an =
over-the-air broadcast kind of signal with good reception.  Not as good =
as cable, but acceptable.  Certainly not something you'd watch DVD =
movies on, in my opinion (s-video is not transmitted, only composite)

I have not tried the transmission of IR codes.  I assume it works, but =
probably as with all X10 equipment, fails every once in a while just =
enough to annoy you, but not enough to really say that the product is =
broken.

To be honest with you, I am on this list precisely because I am fed up =
with controlling my computer through the MouseRemote.  I have been =
considering the SLink device because in theory I should be able to =
control my computer any existing remote, and I should also be able to =
control my existing X10 appliance and lamp modules as well (I was =
disappointed to read the other day that FireCracker support does not =
exist yet, I have both the CM11A and FireCracker, I figured the FC would =
be the more convenient way to go).

My only concern is that there is not a program that is analogous to the =
X10 MouseRemote software that emulates mouse and keyboard events along =
with a host of others.  Though I have complained about the actual =
operation the entire package, this piece of software, though clunky, =
does tend to work pretty well and provides a fair amount of flexibility =
for controlling any 3rd party application.

Hope I haven't confused you too much,

-t=20
  ----- Original Message ----- =20