[slinkelist] RE: Duplicate disk ID problem

Colby Boles cboles@nirvis.com
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 13:12:18 -0800

OK. Here's why:

1. CDDB ID uses a hash number based on the playing times of all the tracks
on the CD.
2. Using the info the player provides, the two CDs you own have the same
CDDB ID.
3. When CDJ does CDDB lookups, it also provides all of the individual track
timing info to CDDB, which allows it to do better inexact matching. This is
why CDDB can distinguish the two discs.
4. When CDJ is looking to see if two discs are the same, it only uses the
CDDB ID number, which causes it to mistake the the two discs for each
other. This is a fixable problem, we just haven't addressed it yet.

Colby