[slinkelist] Sorting in CDJ - A workaround

Thomas W. Humphrey TWHumphrey@fuse.net
Fri, 24 Dec 1999 20:06:29 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0019_01BF4E4A.5DD12FC0

For what it's worth, here is what I have done.

I have entered album names into the library in the way I needed to get =
the library to sort the way I want.  So albums by The Cars are entered =
as "Cars, The" in the library, and so on.  To keep compilations together =
I prefaced all compilation album names with "Compilation", e.g., =
"Compilation-The Big 80's".  I do the same with Christmas music (all =
album names start with "Christmas") and with Childrens (album names =
start with "Childrens").

In the track information, you will note that there is a column for =
"artist" (add it if you don't have it by customizing the track view).  =
This column defaults to the album name in the library but CAN BE CHANGED =
on a track-by-track basis.  So for example for a compilation you can put =
the individual artist names into the track information window for each =
track.  I believe Colby made the artists customizable on a track basis =
in order to allow proper entry of compilations.

Now the trick.

After I set up my library with album names that will sort correctly, I =
then went back to the Artist column in the track information and typed =
in the album name the way I want it to appear.  So an album by The Cars =
which has "Cars, The" under the album name in the library, has "The =
Cars" listed as the artist for every track in the track window.  THis =
way, CDJ's title bar will list songs as by "The Cars" rather than "Cars, =
The".  CDJ will also report "The Cars" rather than "Cars, The" in slinkx =
events so that the SlinkySaver will also display "The Cars" rather than =
"Cars, The" when it plays a song off the album.  So, you get the library =
sorted the way you want and you get artist names listed the way you want =
in CDJ's title bar and SlinkySaver.

It was a pain in the butt to revise all of the library entries to follow =
this approach, but I think it was worth it.

Hope this helps anyone that reads it.

------=_NextPart_000_0019_01BF4E4A.5DD12FC0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>For what it's worth, here is what I have =
done.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I have entered album names into the library in the =
way I=20
needed to get the library to sort the way I want.&nbsp; So albums by The =
Cars=20
are entered as "Cars, The" in the library, and so on.&nbsp; To keep =
compilations=20
together I prefaced all compilation album names with "Compilation", =
e.g.,=20
"Compilation-The Big 80's".&nbsp; I do the same with Christmas music =
(all album=20
names start with "Christmas") and with Childrens (album names start with =

"Childrens").</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>In the track information, you will note that there =
is a column=20
for "artist" (add it if you don't have it by customizing the track =
view).&nbsp;=20
This column defaults to the album name in the library but CAN BE CHANGED =
on a=20
track-by-track basis.&nbsp; So for example for a compilation you can put =
the=20
individual artist names into the track information window for each =
track.&nbsp;=20
I believe Colby made the artists customizable on a track basis in order =
to allow=20
proper entry of compilations.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Now the trick.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>After I set up my library with album names that will =
sort=20
correctly, I then went back to the Artist column in the track =
information and=20
typed in the album name the way I want it to appear.&nbsp; So an album =
by The=20
Cars which has "Cars, The" under the album name in the library, has "The =
Cars"=20
listed as the artist for every track in the track window.&nbsp; THis =
way, CDJ's=20
title bar will list songs as by "The Cars" rather than "Cars, =
The".&nbsp; CDJ=20
will also report "The Cars" rather than "Cars, The" in slinkx events so =
that the=20
SlinkySaver will also display "The Cars" rather than "Cars, The" when it =
plays a=20
song off the album.&nbsp; So, you get the library sorted the way you =
want and=20
you get artist names listed the way you want in CDJ's title bar and=20
SlinkySaver.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>It was a pain in the butt to revise all of the =
library entries=20
to follow this approach, but I think it was worth it.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Hope this helps anyone that reads=20
it.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0019_01BF4E4A.5DD12FC0--