BEWARE OF ATTENUATING CABLES! was Re: [slinkelist] Sony MD 920

Scott Garrett sgarrett@technomancer.com
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 09:53:18 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 26 Dec 1999, Sinan Karasu wrote:

> > It sounds like the MD S-link port might be hosed.  I can't think of any
> > reason you should get so much traffic on the Slink-e light and it sounds
> > like it doesn't work with your CX300 either.

Thanks to all who responded!

As it turned out, I had bought an attenuating cable instead of a patch
cable.  I still haven't quite figured out what you use an attenuating cable
for, but it sure isn't for S-Link.  :)

So for anyone who goes to Radio Shack to buy cables, pay closer attention
than I did and don't get the attenuating cable.  The bag is labelled, but
it doesn't stand out.  The cable itself is not labelled at all.  The only
difference is that the ends where the 1/8th inch plug is held are slightly
thicker than the patch cable, but you couldn't tell without a proper one to
compare.

--
	Scott Garrett     mailto:sgarrett@technomancer.com
					  http://www.technomancer.com

  *** Unix *is* user friendly.  It's just picky about who its friends are.