[slinkelist] Networking CDJ

pete pbnlb@tiac.net
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 15:28:42 -0500

John,

I agree that SlinkServ and DCOM is a great way to go, but DCOM implies
a few things that may or may not be a problem for you. For instance; I
have only Win98 machines. DCOM requires that you run your Win98 machines
with User-Level Security. But to do that, you must have an
Authentication
server on your net {Win98 machines can NOT be Authentication
servers/Primary Domain Controllers ... only WinNT} so ! VNC made perfect
sense
for me .. no muss no fuss ... it just works ! I think it would make
sense
for Win95 only users too.

But if you have at least one WinNT machine and no Win95 machines, I
think you'd
be nuts not to use DCOM with SlinkServ since it's so much faster than
VNC.

Just my 2 cents

-pete