[slinkelist] Learning Remote

Christopher Zguris czguris@christopherzguris.com
Mon, 04 Oct 1999 10:58:04 -0400

Go to <http://www.remotecentral.com/>http://www.remotecentral.com/ and
click on
"Reviews." Personally, I like the Sony RM-AV2000, and it's priced fairly
reasonably. The Phillips Pronto is incredible, but way too expensive for my
needs.=20

Right now, I use a pre-programmed Home Producer 8. On the plus side the IR
LEDs
are very strong, so that I can control stuff without even pointing (bounce=
 off
walls, ceiling, etc.). The Built-in RF transmitter & IR receiver "Base" are
very cool (in fact, I'm in the process of installing the base in a=
 closed-door
cabinet w/IR emitters on the components inside) . The downside is
preprogrammed
- tuner/amp control always seems "odd" w/buttons not quite right. A
programmable is much more flexible, obviously. I used to use a Memorex 8
learning remote (remember those?). Thing's still great, but the buttons=
 don't
work right (worn out), so I can't really use it).=20

I tried an X10/Powerhouse 8-in-1 learning remote, programmed it (had=
 problems
getting it to take some commands, dunno why). After around a week, in the=
 late
pm/am, I went to turn on the TV and got _nothing_ (no TV functions, no tuner
functions, no satellite). For some reason, the stupid thing blanked and lost
all functions. I tossed it across the room and went to sleep. Next morning,=
went back to the Home Producer. I've read a few threads in
comp.home.automation
that allude to others have similar problems w/X10 remotes, so buyer beware.

Xantech is also supposed to make some nice (if pricey and a bit
style-impaired)
learning remotes. I think Home Controls Inc.
(<http://www.homecontrols.com/>http://www.homecontrols.com/) sells them.

At 10:50 PM 10/3/99 +0000, Carl J. Rose wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>Now, I need to get control over remotes.=A0 I have had many pregrammed=
 remotes
>- including the latest One for all Pro Producer.=A0 The best feature of
>this remote is the extra learning buttons at the bottom of the remote
>(in addition to preprogrammed functions).=A0 Whatt I think would=A0 be best
>is is an all learning remote .=A0 I used to have them in the old days but
>they never had enough memory to do a lot of functions like I now require.
>
>I would be intereested in hearing thoughts on this or other topics related
>to my visual problems related to equipment control.

Christopher Zguris

czguris@christopherzguris.com / http://www.christopherzguris.com