[slinkelist] Re: Sony DE135's (was: Re: DXS pricing And other issues)

Jon Welfringer Welfringer@Access1.net
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 10:11:43 -0700

Dave,

A couple of items to note about the DE135's you are looking at:
There are only 2 channels of 100W, not 4.  The speaker outputs only
handle 8 Ohm loads, not 4 Ohm.  The speaker outputs are wired in series
to allow the attachment of 4 speakers and not drop the impedance to 4
Ohms, thus the impedance level will rise on the amplifier which in turn
will decrease the output (half).  This setup will not give you high
output sound, but will give you a moderate volume level that could still
be appropriate for decent listening levels.  Also, I would be vary
cautious about using downstream volume controls or A/B switches.
Measure the resistance on any devices you place in-line with your
speakers and amps.  You will need to make sure you don't overload these
amps on their outputs (impedance too high or too low).  These are entry
level amps and not built to sustain long heavy loads.

That said, as long as you keep everything balanced, you should have
great full house audio.

- Jon

ps. I am by no means an expert on this, but I did research those amps
for my own setup.