[slinkelist] Re: Sony DE135's (was: Re: DXS pricing And other issues)

Jack Wheaton hifigi@hifigi.com
Sat, 23 Oct 1999 18:02:28 -0500

OK... About the DE135. It is indeed wired in series when A+B speakers are
switched on. This is not a good situation. When speakers are wired in series not
only do you hear a significant decrease in volume but you also have the problem
that the electrical properties of the first pair in the series are affecting the
second pair.  The quick and dirty fix is to use an autoformer available from
many manufacturers for prices varying from about $80 to $300. Abandon the A/B
switch and buy an outboard switch. or... put an autoformer volume control on
each pair of speakers.. This will eliminate the problems inherent with series
wiring. There will be a slight decrease in volume to all speakers but it won't
be as apparent. I have successfully used the DE135 to power as many as 8 pairs
of speakers this way. Good for low to moderate volume listening.

By the way..anyone intersted in the audio aspect of these systems.... feel free
to email me for a quote on any hardware pricing. Cheap!!!
Jack

\