[slinkelist] Missing Discs

Brian L Hunt bhunt01@ibm.net
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 18:09:18 -0700

All, here's my summary of this whole issue (please note I did send a variant
of this from another e-mail address this morning but the slinkelist server
is holding it as that email ID is not registered on the list. Smart move but
if it ever comes through you can all just delete it)

Colby, rather than a clear text facility,  why not modify the upload text
function to clear the text in the slots it is about to upload for before
features results in customer confusion and complexity.

Mark, it seems to me that one of the real benefits of CDJ is that it
eliminates the CD to slot relationship that the native player has. With the
native player you have to leave the CD in the slot if you are going to name
it. Moving CDs means redefining names. CDJ breaks that and introduces a link
from CD to ID and then finds IDs in slots if correctly prompted. It also
keeps a record of all IDs ever seen which the native player does not.
Therefore one of the main benefits is that you can pull out a handful of CDs
and lend them to your friends, wife etc without worrying about slot
positions. The only problems is tracking who has them and getting them back
but that's a function of the friends you pick.

Mike, Let me see if I can explain what I do and you tell me where you have
problems.

- CDJ does not automatically upload text to the CD. If you want that you
need to tell it to upload
- CDJ, by default, only checks in slots that it has reason to think are
empty. CDJ only seems to recognize a slot as being empty if a) there was no
CD in that slot last time it took inventory or b) in the case where you took
a CD out, you tell it to search that slot. It will only search the slot if
you tell it to search every slot i.e. the "tedious" choice or check for
missing. The default of check empty slots will only check those that it CDJ
knew were empty (that's why the empty is in quote marks).

So when you take a bunch of discs out/put some discs back in the sequence of
events would be

1)Get CDJ to understand what's where by selecting library, search for discs,
then 'look in "empty" and check for missing' or 'look in every slot
(tedious)'
Note from the CDJ help - when using 'look in "empty" and check for
missing' - in addition verifies that discs are present in the slots CDJ
thinks are full. CDJ does not verify that the discs are the correct ones in
the library, only that discs are present.

Bear in mind that you can limit the range that either of these two scan
through by setting a range of slots to search. Unfortunately this range
limiting only works if you are scanning one CD player. If you select "all"
CD players (for those who have multiple carousels) the range limiting is not
available.

Also be sure that the 'Queue discs for later CDDB lookup' option is checked
unless you have a permanent live internet connection.

2) Go to dinner - (Jay Pfaffman, I am not sure why you are getting the "this
discs times don't match" message)
3) When you get back from dinner and all is done then lookup any CDs from
CDDB if necessary using "Lookup Queued" i.e. when you have added discs that
CDJ has not previously seen. (Or maybe while coming back from dinner you
stopped by the local CD store and made some purchases!)
4) Finally upload text to players. If you don't do this then the player's
text information is not updated.

Once you have done all this then
- CDJ will know what's really in each slot
- the CD players will have the correct text information for each slot
- the slot information in the CDJ database will correctly reflect the
information
- any slots that no longer have a CD may still have text - this is the one
glitch

You can then use the CD player without CDJ and get correct displays

I have tested all this (using the tedious choice)and then run the resultant
access database into through an access to mobile-db converter and loaded the
result into my Palm so I am happy that this does re-sync everything.

Now tell me where this fails and we will be closer to the true problem.

Brian